Thursday 31 October 2013

Is the media we want the same as the media we need?

The question of whether we get the media we need and whether it should inform us about the world seems fairly straightforward. But the more you look at it, the complicated this question becomes.
Like most people, I do not seek out informative media; for me, this is because I am simply not happy with what I find. For example, whenever I turn on the news someone is dying or going to jail and following politics is just disappointing; last time I checked Mayor Ford was smoking crack. All of the “news” I receive is so sensationalized that, because I am interested in the real facts, it stops me from looking for other news because I am so disappointed with what I get, I no longer want to bother. Brooke believes that, “people can help do things to get the media we want such as exclude details, not releasing certain information to the public, etc.” (Harnum, 2013) and I agree with that; it is my opinion that this is exactly how news agencies make certain headlines more shocking and controversial, which deters me from being interested in the news.
“Think of going through life blindfolded, everywhere you go, you are guided and told what your surroundings look like, what the actions of others are, and what is constantly going on around you. This depiction portrays your life” (mm13sa, 2013). This would be the world of a person who is totally unaware of what is going on around them and it is hard to stay informed. There are those few examples of social media benefitting someone’s social consciousness, however. On Facebook, I am subscribed to The Sociological Cinema, which disseminates sociological information, and Upworthy, a page that raises awareness of a variety of issues, several of which are related to the media. Most of the stories on these sites are interesting and would draw viewer attention but these are also both pages that I found incidentally after years on Facebook and I never really access them unless I am already online.
The reason not many people are compelled to seek awareness through media is because we have associated media with being meant for pleasure. As Amy Lowe (2013) wrote in a blog post, “we often choose the media that we want whether it is informative or not,” and she is right. No one would argue that more people watch TMZ than CPAC. And TMZ is an example of another reason people do not seek informative media; they are conditioned to have shorter attention spans. Between advertisements and TV shows that do not focus on one thing for very long, people are conditioned to have shorter attention spans and then cannot focus long enough to analyze or store important information.
Whether or not we get the media we need is up for debate and is all dependent on what people feel the media is responsible for. However, if you are looking for something more stimulating than mainstream media, you will have to find it on your own.
Special thanks to:                                                                                                                                                      

No comments:

Post a Comment